The Third World Studies Center of the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of the Philippines-Diliman is proud to announce the celebration of its 40th anniversary with the conference, “The Third World Studies Center in Its 40th Year: An International Conference.”
This will be held on 9-10 February 2017 at the GT-Toyota Asian Center Auditorium, Asian Center, University of the Philippines-Diliman, Quezon City.
Dr. Alfred W. McCoy, Harrington Professor of History at the University of Wisconsin–Madison, is the keynote speaker.
Two plenary sessions are set aside for the Center’s former Directors and respected scholars whose long academic histories have included doing research in the Philippines as TWSC visiting research fellows. Panelists include:
- Professor Randy David of the Department of Sociology, UP Diliman
- Professor Miriam Coronel-Ferrer, Department of Political Science, UP Diliman
- Dr. Teresa Encarnacion Tadem, Department of Political Science, UP Diliman
- Dr. Maria Ela Atienza, Department of Political Science, UP Diliman
- Dr. Maria Serena Diokno, Department of History, UP Diliman
- Dr. Teresita Maceda, Department of Filipino and Philippine Literature, UP Diliman
- Dr. Paul Hutchcroft, Australian National University
- Dr. Johannes Dragsbæk Schmidt, Aalborg University
- Dr. Takushi Ohno, Tokyo University of Foreign Studies
- Dr. Patricio Abinales, University of Hawaii at Manoa (TBC).
Former TWSC visiting research fellows, contributors to Kasarinlan: Philippine Journal of Third World Studies, and members of the TWSC network will be presenting papers in panels centering around TWSC’s current research themes: (1) political economy and globalization, (2) social movements, (3) authoritarianism and democratic governance, (4) peace and human security, (5) culture and identity, and (6) (new) media and technology.
Documentaries produced by student interns of TWSC and the University of Montreal will also be screened.
The two-day conference will include snacks, lunch, and a workshop kit. The conference has a subsidized registration fee of PHP 2,000.00. Payment of this registration fee can be made either at the TWSC office in cash or paid on site.
The conference is endorsed by the Commission on Higher Education. Please click here for the endorsement.
Further information about the conference can be found at http://twscconference.up.edu.ph/. Please register online via the website.
For undergraduate students who were not able to register for the fifty (50) free slots for undergraduate and graduate students, payment of a discounted rate of PHP1,000.00 registration fee can be made. Please note that this special rate is only available to undergraduate students who will register online until 31 January 2017 (Tuesday). Please present a valid undergraduate student ID at the registration desk at the day of the conference.
Please feel free to disseminate this invitation to friends, colleagues, and other networks who might be interested. Thank you and we hope you can join us in celebrating the Third World Studies Center’s 40th anniversary.